At some point in your pet’s life, they may need a surgical procedure. Whether your pet is having an elective surgery such as spay or neuter, or an emergency surgery for intestinal obstruction, you can rest assured that our staff will provide the very best care possible for your pet.
Our facility offers the following surgical services for companion animals (remove any as needed):
- Routine spay and neuter
- Tumor removal
- Abdominal and soft tissue procedures
- Orthopedic surgery
- Endoscopy and biopsies
- Laparoscopic surgery
In the best interests of our pet, we require a physical examination appointment with one of our doctors prior to scheduling procedures. Before the procedure is scheduled, our staff will explain the process including:
- Any pre-surgical testing that is recommended – baseline laboratory testing is beneficial so that there are no surprises on surgery day. Knowing that your pet has normal blood test results can help prevent anesthetic complications or surgical complications such as excessive bleeding, which can occur when patients have low platelet counts or abnormal clotting. When there is liver or kidney disease, this may affect the choices of anesthetic drugs recommended by your veterinarian, to prevent anesthetic complications and promote a smooth anesthetic recovery.
- Food and water intake restrictions prior to surgery – a period of fasting may be necessary prior to your pet’s procedure. Our staff will let you know what is advised.
- What procedures are to be done on the day of surgery – from initial intake to sedation and general anesthesia, anesthesia monitoring, the procedure, and recovery, the staff will walk you through what will happen with your pet once you leave the hospital.
- Discharge and aftercare for your pet – some patients may be able to go home the same day as their procedure, whereas others may need an overnight stay or referral to a 24-hour care facility. The veterinary team will advise you as to what is best for your pet, and also discuss aftercare for your companion and any rechecks needed.
Our veterinary surgeons include specialists able to perform more specialized surgeries such as:
- eye surgery
- knee surgery (TPLO and TTA)
- orthopedic and other “complex” surgical procedures
Estrella Veterinary Hospital
26925 Camino De Estrella Capistrano Beach, CA 92624
Saturday: 8am-5pm, Sunday: Closed Holiday Hours Thanksgiving: CLOSED
Christmas Eve: 7:30 AM - 12 PM
New Years Eve: 7:30 AM - 12 PM
New Years Day: CLOSED